Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Brief Musical Interlude: R. Kelly & Phoenix


I don't think that anyone is probably reading this, but I am going to mention that after I read recent articles about R. Kelly and his alleged rapes, I'm dropping him from my life. I've said a lot of gushy things about his music and Trapped in the Closet series, but I can't listen to his music or watch his series or think of him without thinking of Jim DeRogatis' statement that "The saddest fact I've learned is nobody matters less to our society than young black women. Nobody."

I don't want to get too preachy, but if you have no idea what I'm talking about, read some of the articles associated with Jim DeRogatis and others who investigated Kelly. I'm saying this because I previously chose to remain unaware of the circumstances surrounding his trial and lawsuits, which I dismissively called "Kells' legal troubles (immortalized by Mr. David Chappelle)." Even though it probably impacts no one but me, my blind acceptance of and ardent admiration for a man who has ruined the lives of young women is deeply regrettable. 

So, no more talk about R. Kelly being an amazing musician who is delightfully wack-a-doo--what I originally said here about his work and his collaboration with Phoenix. I'm done.

The Kelly Conversations via WBEZ 91.5
R. Kelly's Twitter Convo via The Village Voice blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...